The NI Alpaca Group arranges and supports training courses, to help us understand how to better care for our wonderful animals.
BAS Online Training Zoom Courses ran in 2021
- Kate Brookes Make Alpacas Your Business – https://youtu.be/wIwbJctTzPo
- Sue Loach Basic Alpaca Husbandry for Good Welfare https://youtu.be/V8h_ho9x2uI
- Sarah Caldwell – Alpaca Birthing https://youtu.be/WcTeACCBsZI
- Duncan Pullar – Estimated Breeding Value’s https://youtu.be/qnuHyMdjfBU
- Neil Payne – Business Diversification https://youtu.be/Xoph2hzXNsE
- Tim Hey – Show preparation https://youtu.be/3piyyaokGHY
- Dr Kylie Munyard – Colour Genetics https://youtu.be/ShuwaozkmBA
- Ami Sawran – Alpaca Parasites https://youtu.be/ABab_fSXFGI
BAS Affiliate Training – Saturday 9 February 2019
Roger & Elaine Clarke of Amberly Alpacas, will be delivering BAS Affiliate Training in association with the Northern Ireland Alpaca Group and the Alpaca Association of Ireland.
WHAT?….The BAS Affiliate programme is composed of 11 modules in total (as detailed below). These will be categorised and delivered over a number of different days (Day 1 & Day 2)
WHERE?…In order to facilitate attendance; the training will be hosted by Amberly Alpacas in N.Ireland and Hushabye Farm Alpacas In ROI.
WHEN?…Day 1 Training-Saturday 9th February 2019 at Amberly Alpacas and Saturday 16th February 2019 at Hushabye Farm Alpaca
COST?… The course fee is £90 per person, including refreshments. NIAG Members can available of a £20 on each place booked. Anyone not currently a member of NIAG can join ahead of booking to receive the discounted rate.
DAY 1; will encompass Modules 1-5 and is aimed at prospective and new alpaca owners (as well as anyone wishing to avail of revised training)
Module 1: Catching your alpaca
Module 2: Fitting a head collar
Module 3: Halter training
Module 4: Feeding and basic management
Module 5: Vaccination, worming and supplements
DAY 2; will feature all aspects of Modules 6-11 and is aimed at prospective, new and experienced breeders/keepers.
Module 6: Alpaca breeding
Module 7: Alpaca mating
Module 8: Birthing
Module 9: Shearing
Module 10: What do to with fleece
Module 11: Marketing your alpaca business
(Dates for Day 2 modules will be announced in due course)
Please contact Roger and Elaine at Amberly Alpacas (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details of these practical courses; including times, pricing and booking.
Alpaca Pregnancy and Neonatal Cria Care – January 2018
In January 2018 Amberly Alpacas, in association with the NI Alpaca Group, host a one-day practical course on pregnancy, birth and neonatal care of alpacas. The course covered the first few months of an alpaca’s life, exploring:
- The birthing process, what can go wrong and how to deal with it
- Management of the newborn
- Understanding colostrum
- Congenital deformities
- Bone development and rickets
- Understanding and tackling parasites
- Nutrition and growth
- Implementing a suitable vaccination programme
The training was delivered by Sarah Caldwell, Calweton Veterinary Group.
Over 50 alpaca owners, breeders and enthusiasts, along with their vets and other animal health care professionals, from all over Ireland (and beyond) attended this very interesting, engaging and useful training course.